Tuesday, April 27, 2010

on becoming a grown up


I really don't feel like I'm there yet. Sure, I'll be 22 in a few months (5 to be precise) and I'm nearly a college graduate, and I live on my own and pay for my own stuff (with a few minor exceptions), yet somehow I don't
feel like an adult. Adults are older people who have real jobs and who have their lives all together and have reached their goals in life and fulfilled their dreams (although by this definition I don't know if anyone is actually a grown up). And I know this is going to sound rather trite but- I think I'll feel more like a grown up when I actually wear (and pull off) lipstick. Is that totally weird? I remember being a teenager and playing around with my mom's makeup and putting on lipstick and thinking I was so cool- but that I looked totally weird wearing it. And now, years later I'm in college and I still feel like I can't wear lipstick. It's for women and moms. Of which I am neither. And yet I am secretly dying to wear it. I think it's so glamorous and romantic. Just the right shade of red- I can picture it now. And yet I don't really foresee this happening anytime in the near future. I'm far too self conscious and I'm not quite sure I'm ready to be a grown up just yet.
ps- don't all these women look fabulous with red lipstick? I love it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can still rummage around through my lipstick drawer whenever you want, Sweetie!
Love ya! Your Mon (who is currently wearing "Sheer Blush" lipstick)

Elyse Marie said...

Haha! Well if that's the mark for growing up, I don't think I'll ever get there. I look awful in lipstick. Give me some lipsmackers and I'm good to go lol. But I bet you could pull off that lipstick look Jenny. Like you said, it's just all about the right shade.