Friday, September 10, 2010

i'm right, you're wrong


My brother Marshall and I have gotten into an argument on at least two separate occasions regarding books written in first person. He read The Hunger Games and said it took him aback a little because he hadn't read a book written in first person before. I thought that was ridiculous because there are plenty of books written in first person- he disagreed and thought it was rare and during our last argument he challenged me to name one other book written in first person. Of course I know that lots of other books are written in first person- but I couldn't think of any on the spot. So behold- a list of well known (and widely read) books that are written in first person. Just for you Marshall (even though you probably will never read this):

Catcher in the Rye
The Great Gatsby
Grapes of Wrath
Jane Eyre
Twilight (and all the others in the series)
Frankenstein
The Outsiders
Wuthering Heights
As I Lay Dying
Great Expectations
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Bell Jar
Virginia Woolfe
A Clockwork Orange
To Kill a Mockingbird
(this is my favorite book, and yet under pressure I couldn't remember that Scout is the narrator)

ta-da! I've only read about 2/3 of these- so I'm trusting the internet as my source on the rest. But I just wanted to prove it to the world (aka the three people who read my blog) that I was right- there are plenty of books written in first person.

1 comment:

marshall said...

But are they written in first person narrative? They may be in first person, but i dont think to kill a mockingbird is in first person NARRATIVE. Thats the key. And remember, i've read to kill a mockingbird and i found nothing unusual about it, so as of right now, i am still doubting.