Friday, July 16, 2010

British Beatle Mania







My first memory of anything Beatles related is a poster that my cousin Chris (or maybe David?) had hanging in his room. During the summers my family would take vacations to Utah and stay with relatives. One summer we were staying at my Aunt Heather's and in the basement was a black poster with the words "The Beatles" on it (or at least if my memory serves me correctly). My cousin Alexis informed me that they were a band her brother was really into. Flash forward to my Freshman year in college. I am fortunate enough to room with Candace Mercer- a Beatles aficionado. She got me hooked. I had a negative opinion after hearing "Piggies" but she showed me the light and thus began my love affair with George, Paul, John and Ringo. I heard that Paul McCartney was coming to Utah and I knew that there was no way I could pass up this opportunity. I immediately called Candace and told her the news (of course she already knew) and told her we had to go. Her and her hubby Dan just celebrated their one year wedding anniversary and were going to celebrate but were kind enough to let me third-wheel it with them. Thanks guys! And for Candace's reminiscence of the evening go here. I've been counting down for a while now, and Tuesday the day had finally arrived and I, Jennifer Lynn Dunn saw Sir Paul McCartney live in concert at the Rio Tinto stadium in Sandy. Honestly, Candace's post sums things up pretty well- I love her highlight list and fully concur. But... I do have a few things to say.
-It was amazing! I saw 1/4 of the Beatles! Paul was there- in person. I saw him! And it wasn't on a movie, television or computer screen. It was with my own eyes. How awesome is that? I feel like I can't really describe my emotions besides pure excitement. I just loved it. It feels kind of like a dream now that I look back on it, like I can't believe it was real. It's weird. But I'm quite looking forward to telling my children about this. Hopefully they'll think I'm cool and not just old (because let's face it- by the time I have kids it's doubtful Paul and Ringo will still be around).
-My personal highlights: Blackbird- Paul on stage alone with an acoustic guitar and a spotlight. Beautiful. Live and Let Die- fireworks went off! It was insane. The crowd was so loud. Give Peace a Chance- everyone was on their feet repeating the phrase "All we are saying is, is give peace a chance." It was crazy to see so many people swaying back and forth repeating this powerful phrase. Hey Jude- one of my all time favorite Beatles songs. The whole crowd was singing along and it was epic.
If you want to know more, just ask. I have a huge journal entry I wrote the day after and I don't quite feel like typing it all again. But just know it was one of the greatest experiences ever and I am so glad I went and I'm happy I'll have this to look back on for the rest of my life.

No comments: