Sunday, August 16, 2009

sign me up

It was recently pointed out to me by a friend that all the change taking place in my life is due to the growing up process. Something, may I just say, that I am not a fan of. As previously stated, I don't like change. Well, let me correct that. I don't like change that I'm not a part of. Many friends are getting significant others, thereby forcing me to make new friends. Which is really a blessing in disguise since making new friends is good and force is really the only way that I do it. As we were chatting I couldn't help but think of this interesting Op-Ed piece I read in the Times by Molly Ringwald entitled "The Neverland Club". It's about director John Hughes who just passed away, and how he never wanted to grow up- he was essentially Peter Pan in her eyes. Read it if you get the chance. And it made me realize that I don't really want to grow up either. I love my life right now. I LOVE college. I love most things associated with college. I love my independence. I love my friends. I love that I'm close to my family (but not too close). BUT I've come to accept the fact that no matter how much I fight it, I will grow up. And so will everyone around me, and that means change is a comin'. But that's ok. I'm now working on having a positive attitude and embracing life as it comes rather than hiding from it in my imaginary land of Neverland.

No comments: